Home Meet the Blogger Freebies Contact TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Instagram Pinterest Facebook Twitter Image Map

November 4, 2013

Thieves---Close Reading Strategy

Happy Monday everyone!  It was sure nice being able to turn back those clocks this weekend to get an extra hour of sleep! I do love my beauty rest.....



Last week during one of my small groups I tried out a strategy for previewing text...and I loved it!  The strategy is called T.H.I.E.V.E.S and was posted (free) to TPT by Andrea McEvoy!  It is an awesome resource to use to get your students ready for a close reading of text.  I so wish I could claim this as my own.....because it is seriously great!


One the first side the acronym T.H.I.E.V.E.S shows students how they should preview informational text by using THIEVES.  Students preview the title, headings, introduction, first sentences, visuals, vocabulary and the end of the text.  By looking closesly at theses components of  the passage....students are getting a feel for what the text will be about.



On the back side of the paper, students write what they have found while previewing the text.  

I am telling you this form was great!!  I absolutely loved it....and it was FREE!  Thank you Andrea McEvoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment