Home Meet the Blogger Freebies Contact TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Instagram Pinterest Facebook Twitter Image Map

August 12, 2020

50 Self Care Ideas for Teachers

It wasn't until Covid-19 hit and we began "crisis teaching," that I realized the importance of self care.  I didn't take issue with others and their self-care routines, but I didn't do it myself....I just thought it was unnecessary.  In fact I probably would have called self care for myself a waste of time.  I mean...I didn't have time to paint my nails, read a book for pleasure or listen to my favorite podcast.  I had work to do.  I had a toddler to chase around. I had dinner to cook.  Laundry to fold......and the list goes on and on.  However, now I realize how essential self-care is.  



It isn't selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself and make your happiness a priority.  It's necessary. If you are constantly giving your all to everyone else or everything else, then you will eventually burn out.  Your cup will be empty and you will have nothing left to give. You aren't saying "me first," but rather "me too." 
 


For this upcoming school year it will be more important than ever to create a self-care plan.  The back to school season is normally full of stress, anxiety, lack of sleep and excitement....but through Covid-19 in the mix and.....yikes!  

So, please take a moment and read through the 50 self care actions you can take to nurture yourself.    Pick your favorites, or try all of them.  If it takes you scheduling self care on your calendar---then do it.  Make. Yourself. A. Priority.



If your school year will be remote or hybrid (both remote and in-person), make sure you check out an earlier post I had (Teacher Self Care) which gives tips on creating a plan to keep you mentally healthy during distance learning.

If life gets to be too much and you begin to experience overwhelming, anxiety, sadness or stress please seek professional help.  You aren't good to anyone else, unless you have taken care of yourself first. 

Feel free to click this link, where you can download the self care printable.  Perhaps share it with a colleague who you know needs some self care.  Maybe make it a challenge at your building this year--who can be the first to complete all 50?



2 comments:

  1. What a great list, self-care is so important and means something different to each person. Thanks for sharing this list.

    ReplyDelete