Home Meet the Blogger Freebies Contact TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Instagram Pinterest Facebook Twitter Image Map

July 31, 2020

Teacher Self Care

My district has purchased The Distance Learning Playbook by Douglas Fisher, Nancy Frey and John Hattie, to assist in guiding our distance learning efforts for this upcoming school year.  While our district hasn't fully decided what our school year will look like, we do know it will look different, and our administration wanted us to be as prepared as possible. Although it is still technically summer, teachers were able to get their hands on this playbook, if they wanted, to start mentally preparing for what school might look like.  I jumped at the chance...... my brain HAS to start preparing or I will go cRaZy!



If you think you might be tasked with distance learning, whether at 100%, a hybrid model or a crisis shutdown if a Covid-19 outbreak happens, I highly recommend this book.  It's a wonderfully accessible read which details research and evidence based strategies teachers can employ to deliver high impact learning online, virtual or in an distributed environment.  If you want more of a sample, visit Corwin's website where they offer a complimentary download introduction of the book.  

The very first module (of 9) is about self care. I was a bit surprised this was the first module, but after reading through it made total sense.  We can't take care of others, unless we have first taken care of ourselves.  If we are stressed, overwhelmed, anxious and exhausted...what good are we to our students?  

In order to keep your cup filled, it is important to have a plan. A plan to keep you mentally healthy during times of crisis (looking at you Covid-19).  Use these following tips to help you come up with a plan specific to distance learning taken from Module 1 of the Distance Learning Playbook

1. Keep a dedicated workspace at home (this doesn't have to be a specific room, but could be a corner in your bedroom or kitchen.  Wherever it is, set ground rules for others in your home about your workspace. At my home, since my husband and I are both teachers, we share a workspace--but at different hours of the day.  We are lucky to have a spare room in the basement, where we have space and privacy.   However, we need to spend more time making the space feel more like a "classroom" by hanging up marker boards, organizing supplies and decorating.  

2.  Create a routine Routines are great for our brains--brains love predictability.  Routines help us stay organized and are predictable.  I know when my "normal routine" gets interrupted, I can become frazzled--which is how the start of "crisis learning" went for me, and likely many others.  Our whole world got rocked, and we didn't know how to re-establish routines.  So, before beginning distance learning create a morning and ending routine.  My morning routine is beginning the day with a walk, and my ending routine is spending time watching tv with my family.  Those are the bookends to my day. Routines don't have to be long or elaborate, rather something that signifies a clear start and end.  

3. Stay connected with people outside your home Humans thrive on both personal and professional connections and we shouldn't forget this when we are teaching remotely. This was a struggle for me during crisis learning--yes I had the occasional text conversation and attended PLC meetings with colleagues--but I didn't have a plan to stay connected on a regular basis.  If my school enters a distance learning phase, I plan to text a friend or family member daily.  I also plan to search for PD opportunities that I can attend virtually each month. 



4. Stay Healthy.  This means having a plan for when you do get stressed or overwhelmed.  Eat healthy. Exercise. Get regular sleep. 

One important note---if you are experiencing overwhelming anxiety, sadness or stress please seek professional help.  You aren't good to anyone else, unless you have taken care of yourself first. 

Lastly, a few weeks ago I posted about 7 ways you can help kids cope with anxiety.  If you haven't had a chance to read it--- please take a moment as the tips were great for helping kids cope, yet also useful for adults and fits nicely with the topic of self care.   

No comments:

Post a Comment