Home Meet the Blogger Freebies Contact TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Instagram Pinterest Facebook Twitter Image Map

September 28, 2021

Agreements NOT rules

We all know that setting rules on the first few days of school is VITALLY important.  Students must have a clear picture of  behavioral expectations in order for the classroom to run smoothly. 

A few years ago I stopped calling classroom expectations, rules.  Instead, I call them agreements. 

Why?

First, lets explore the definition of rules.  Rules, according to Merriam Webster, are the laws or regulations prescribed by a founder for observance of its members.  In other words, rules are imposed.  Rules are put into place by someone with power who is "above the people."  They are made for compliance and punishment.

Now lets explore the definition of agreement.  An agreement is an arrangement that is accepted by all parties.   Agreements are negotiated and set for a purpose of collaboration.  

After thinking about these two terms, I decided I wanted my classroom to be a place where we ALL work together.  I didn't want my classroom to be run like a dictatorship.  So, I changed from rules to agreements.  

On the fist day, I ask my students one question....

1. What should our classroom look and sound like if we are safe and doing our best learning? 

As kids brainstorm ideas and share, I jot them down on chart paper.  When we are finished, we categorize them and filter them down into three simple agreements that all students can agree to.  

Finally, we make out three agreements "official" with our signatures.  Going through this process collaboratively with students makes them motivated to exhibit positive behavior.  Students are invested in the agreements, as they worked to make them.  Inside my four walls I want students to be safe, learn and feel valued.....and co-creating agreements is the first step to achieving that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment