Home Meet the Blogger Freebies Contact TeachersPayTeachers BlogLovin Instagram Pinterest Facebook Twitter Image Map

July 19, 2021

Back to School Scavenger Hunts--A fun first day activity!

That first day of school is almost here for most of us!  

Some of us are ready to go back, while others are not ready for summer to end! 

Me.....well.....I am like this doggo down below.  I just LOVE summer with my family!


Since school is just around the corner, I know some (if not most) of our brain space is devoted to thinking about the fist day back.  
  • How will students get to know me?  
  • How will they get to know each other?  
  • What will be our classroom expectations and how will I teach them?
  • How will I teach the classroom routines and procedures?
  • How will I decorate and organize my room?
Okay, the list could go on and on and on!  I often wonder if the "outside world" really has any idea how much planning and preparation goes into that first day of school. So. Much. Work!  

Personally, as I am planning the first day, I try to put myself in my student's shoes.  Yes--I want the first day to lay the foundation for the school year, but I also don't want students to be bored out of their gourds.   

A classroom scavenger hunt is one of my favorite ways to get kids up and moving and break up the boredom! A partner, group or individual scavenger hunt is a great way to get students familiar with the their new classroom. Instead of walking around the room and pointing out the important aspects--let your students discover it.  Scavenger hunts are perfect for any age--preschool to high school students!

If you decide to make a scavenger hunt for your class it is a good ideas to include items students will use on a regular basis, or informative items.  Examples would include lunch menus, trashcans, Kleenex boxes, hand sanitizer, calendar, etc. 

If you teach young kids use pictures instead of words!  For older students use words, but have them answer a question about the item the located.  

Trust me--this is a way better way to acquaint students with the classroom--plus it gets some of that energy out on that first day or first week back!  For extra fun I sometimes make it a contest.  The first three teams, or three individuals done win a prize. :)   

Pre-made scavenger hunts are available in my TPT store if you are interested.  Just click the image below!





No comments:

Post a Comment